Thursday, October 3, 2013

Did your highschool experiences prepared you for college?

Reflection on My Four Years in Capuchino High School

My four year experience in Capuchino High School are great examples of college readiness. Along with this, my experiences will be synthesize with quotes from college readiness expertise that define college readiness.

My Four Year Experience in Capuchino High School greatly contributed in preparing me to be successful in college. One of the important skills I have attained being in Capuchino was self management. This skills was developed due to the IB classes that I have taken. These rigorous classes have such high academic demands because the standards it meets are similar to college courses. With this in mind, self management do play huge role because of the fast moving phase of learning these classes. Self management is actually an important aspect of defining college readiness.Self management includes ".time management techniques and habit  accurately estimating how much time it takes to complete all outstanding and anticipated time..using calendars..[and] prioritizing time.." (Conley, 2010) Prioritizing assignments according to their due dates is crucial in meeting deadlines for the work. This could be achieved with time management because its a skill that enforces the student to accommodate time for specific assignments to be finished.Self management is important in college because succesful students in college use effective self-management skills and being responsible. Another important experience. Another important skills I have developed was my communication skills. This skill was enhanced in my IB English class due to the constant Socratic seminar we practice in that class. For example, David T. Conley says that communication involves constructing " well reasoned arguments or proofs to explain phenomeno or issues [using] well recognized forms of reasoning to construct an arguement and defend a point of view.."Most of our discussion requires a student to have  precise point and should be proven with specific evidence. The students would then be enforced to deliver their argument and they have to be clear and concise in delivering their statements. In terms of passage analysis, students would then dissect passages that related to the main theme portrayed in the passages and explain to his or her peers the structure, the rhetorical devices, etc. Along with this, student have to be confident in presenting their argument to have a stronger emphasis on their statement.This is important in college because communication will be needed in terms of group work, presenting student's project, talking to the professors and many more.


My motivation and determination to get an acceptable GPA in high school indicates that I am prepared and will be successful in college.  According to William Bowen, a former president of Princeton University, he argues that high school grades "..reveal qualities of motivation and perseverance as well as the presence of good study habits and time management skills that tells us great deal about the chances that a student will complete a college program.."(Clark, 2009) I joined AVID because I am determined to be academically prepared for college. AVID did this by  giving me crucial information about college to make me an outstanding candidate competing against so many applicant. This involves  putting my best effort in my classes to get a good GPA considering that college use this as to decide who will be admitted to their university. Along with this, I also developed effective academic skills that truly helped me on getting a good GPA. Through AVID, I developed "good study behaviors [such] as time management, preparing for and taking examinations, using information resources, taking class notes, and communicating with teachers and advisors." (Conley, 2010) Our AVID teacher put emphasis on the importance of note taking by constantly using cornel notes as this been proven that taking notes on this format is an effective way to process thinking. AVID also build up my confidence with constant presentations and group work through tutorials. With everyday group work, it enhanced my communication skills and really learned the importance of accepting critiques, different perspective of my team mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment